Medical Innovation and Novel Discovery Center (MIND)
The Upstate MIND is an initiative to generate biotech bright ideas from concept to commercialization. Upstate MIND is more than an effort to foster translational research — Upstate MIND is a physical space for innovators to “collide” and “cloister." Upstate MIND facilitates interactions with scientists, physicians, engineers, students, innovators, entrepreneurs, the business community and other partners.
Located within CNYBAC, this highly-specialized facility draws on the bio-research strengths of academic and business partners rich in entrepreneurial spirit. CNYBAC is just blocks away from Upstate Medical University and the Institute for Human Performance with its newly opened Neuroscience Research Building, a $72 million expansion.
Upstate MIND Strategies
Strategy #1 - Create a Culture that Encourages Discovery, Innovation and Commercialization
- Form effective partnerships with the private sector for research and alliances that promote the translation of discoveries into new devices, drugs and medical devices that improve the human condition.
- Provide “one-stop shopping” access for faculty and outside partners.
- Foster interest in product development and licensing.
Strategy #2 -
Support Upstate's Mission of Clinical Care, Education and Research Through the Principles of Prediction, Prevention, Personalization and Patient Participation.
Molecular medicine is characterized by advances, such as next generation DNA sequencing, to predict disease and disability and puts the emphasis on prevention. Improved diagnostics allows discovery of “molecular fingerprints” to deliver targeted or personalized therapies. This new approach also requires intensive patient education and participation.
- Embrace new provider models and technologies to increase clinical effectiveness.
- Experiment with new approaches to care, such as shared appointments and high tech “house calls.”
- Use technologies to reach new patients at less cost.
- Optimize the patient experience and coordinate care across disciplines to improve patient access and transitions, such as:
- Creating patient service centers to include lab testing and imaging.
- Improving the patient experience by delivering superior clinical outcomes in a patient-centered environment.
Strategy # 3 - Create Lifelong Fearless Learners
- Design novel education pathways and models for teaching and training future physicians and scientists. Emphasize team training, collaboration, interdisciplinary and inter-professional activities, online access and mobile medicine. This will reduce education costs and time for training.
- Use telemedicine, collaborative classrooms, simulation technology, and shared services to train doctors and scientists.